About Karim Khan-e Zand Castle
Karim Khan-e Zand Castle, which is located in the center of Shiraz, was built during 1766 and 1767 on the order of Karim Khan-e Zand. The building of the castle is a combination of residential and martial architecture. The inner part of the castle with painted porches and rooms, fountains and gardens, is of great elegance. Each one of north, south and west sides has a porch and six rooms on its sides. All rooms of this building are connected from inside and one can move inside them without leaving the inner part of the building. The eastern side contains a private bathroom and some service facilities. Bathroom of this castle is among first private bathrooms built in this style in Iran and it has been used by the royal family. The quadruple battlement as well as the ditch that was once dug around it also played a defending role for the castle. The height of jagged walls and towers is 12m and 15m respectively. Thickness of walls is about three meters. Proper turrets are built for watching and shooting when a battle takes place. Entrance of the castle is decorated with a big tile work picture on the facade that depicts the scene of Rostam and the White Demon and this picture belongs to Qajar Period.