About Pars Museum
Pars Museum is located in Nazar Garden of Shiraz where objects from pre-Islam and post-Islam periods are kept. Karim Khan-e Zand built an octagonal building in the middle of Nazar Garden and this magnificent mansion was a place to host royal guests and foreign ambassadors as well as a place for various official ceremonies and feasts. The exterior view of this octagonal building is adorned with tile work and bird and flower paintings and on top of this building there are tile work entablature and gables. In addition, there are symmetrical paintings on four sides that depict the hunting scene and Solomon's enthronement. The inner spaces of the building consist of a central part and four lateral alcoves. Of features of this building are brick work, tile work as well as paintings and the use of one piece plinth. A one-piece fountain made of marble on the floor of this mansion has freshened up the internal space of this building. In 1937, this building was exploited as Pars Museum.
Works available in Pars Museum are divided into three periods namely prehistory, historic and Islamic periods. As the oldest museum in Fars Province, the Pars Museum contains priceless works including metal objects, pottery, assorted coins and seals from the fourth millennium BC to the contemporary period. A collection of 30 volumes of the holy Qur'an in the script of Yahya Al-Jamali Al-Soofi, written in 8th century A.H., along with a collection of water color paintings by Lotf-Ali the portraitist from Shiraz can be found in this museum. In addition, the works by famous painters of the Zand Period namely Agha Sadegh, Mirza Baba Naghash Bashi, and Ja'far as well as some works of contemporary painters including Sadruddin Shayesteh and Mir Mosavar, the Kamal al-Mulk's apprentices, are conserved in this museum. Of other works being kept in this museum is the Hefdah Man Qur'an (the holy Qur'an weighted 51kg) in the script of Sultan Ibrahim Ibn Shahrokh Teymoori in early 19th century A.H. and it was first kept on top of the Qur'an Gate of Shiraz and it has been transferred to the Pars Museum in 1938. It is worth noting that the sword of Karim Khan-e Zand and the famous picture of "Karim Khan-e Zand smoking hookah" are also conserved in this museum. Pars Museum has been registered as a national monument of Iran.