About Qavam Orangery
Qavam Orangery, which dates back to Qajar Period, is located at the end of Lotf-Ali Khan-e Zand Street in Shiraz. Qavam al-Saltaneh was the founder of this orangery who was appointed as the governor of Fars in 1252 A.H. and constructed buildings in his neighborhood that formed the QavamComplex. The QavamComplex has been constructed and completed between 1257 and 1267 A.H., contemporaneous with the government of Nasiruddin Shah Qajar. This complex constitutes various parts the major of which are Gachineh Bath, Hosseiniyeh Qavam, Qavam Maktab-Khaneh, Qavam Andaruni, Qavam private bath, prison and Qavam Garden. Qavam Garden which is now called Qavam Orangery because of abundant bitter orange trees is considered among the most beautiful and precious works of Qajar Period; especially when these trees blossom and the pleasing aroma of bitter orange blossoms fills the garden space. The main entrance of this garden is toward the south and there are elegant brick works on its portico and there is a red marble inscription on its head with some ayahs of the holy Qur'an. In addition, the figure of two Qajar soldiers is inscribed on the stone plinths on two sides of the entrance. The entrance door is made of teak wood with elegant woodcarvings on it.
Qavam Orangery contains buildings on the north, east and south sides of it and the building on the north side is the major mansion of this garden which is a two-story building with a basement. The most glorious part of this mansion is its grand porch with two single-piece stone pillars and adorned flat ceiling. Many sections of this mansion, including the rooms are painted with assorted and beautiful images of flowers, animals, hunting scenes and there are picturesque mirror art work around the paintings on the ceiling, walls and alcove. Oil paintings of the ceiling are identical to the style of paintings in Zand Period. Painting on the woods of ceiling which is called marjook in local language is the characteristic of Shirazian artists. The mansion on the south side has been the governor's office. East side mansion contained maktab-khaneh and the cuisine. In addition, the basement of east-side mansion has been used as the armory as well as warehouse.