About Tomb of Hafez
Tomb of Hafez known as Hafeziyeh is located in the north of Shiraz on the south of Qur'an gate. Khwaja Shams-ud-Din Muḥammad Bin Baha-ud-Din Ḥafeẓ-e Shirazi, known as Lisan al-Ghayb (the Tongue of the Unseen), is the great Iranian poet and one of the world famous elocutionists. He was born in 727 A.H. and passed away in 792 A.H. Most of his poems are sonnets known as Ghazaliyat-e- Hafez. Divan-e- Hafez is one of the few books in every Iranian house beside other religious books and people of all ages read it and enjoys it.
In 856 A.H., about 65 years after his death, Shams-ud-Din Muḥammad Yaghmayi, the minister of Mirza Abul-Ghasim Goorkani, the governor of Fars, constructed a domed edifice over the grave of Hafez and built a large pool in front of this edifice filled with water from Rokn Abad. With attempts of Ali Asghar Hekmat in 1937, the current building was designed by Andre Godard, the French designer, and implemented in collaboration with Ali Sami. In the current building, tombstone of Hafez is located one meter above the ground and surrounded by five rows of steps. There is a copper dome like dervishes' caps on eight pillars with the height of 10 meters. Inside of this dome is decorated with seven-color mosaic tiles. This tomb has a north and a south courtyard and these courtyards are separated from each other by a hall. This complex has four entrances and the main entrance is on the south. There are two entrances on the west and one on the northeast of this complex. It should be noted that in the north courtyard of this complex, there are Hafezology Center, library, and Cultural Goods Store.